Tuesday, December 2, 2014

A Interview with Ideas Aubrey -- Beyond Amazing!

The iconic Beyond Baroque in Venice, CA -- home to the creative arts of Los Angeles!
Home to SoapBox Poets Open Mic each 2nd Sunday of the Month
!




















Everyone walked out a different person from Beyond Baroque today. This community literary and arts center, located at 681 Venice Blvd in Venice, California (www.beyondbaroque.org), holds several events every weekend such as today's SoapBox Poets Open Mic hosted by LAPS President, Jessica Wilson, where performers are free to bring their poems, short stories or simply "your words" and share them on the mic. 


Today's Featured Poet was Spoken Word poet Ideas Aubrey who opened up his heart on stage and let his audience feel better walking out than when they walked in. Such energy and positive vibe comes from his personal life experiences. His poetry and spoken word pieces could be felt within the walls of Baroque and beyond. 



I asked to sit and speak to Ideas Aubrey (He can be followed on FacebookTwitterGoogle+ and Tumblr) about what inspires him to do his craft, who inspired him to pursue poetry and what projects await for him. His bright, positive energy leaves the audience wanting more.

When did you know that poetry was your calling? How old were you?

I was 17 when started writing poetry after a poet came to my classroom in High School. Poetry was something else. I had  lots of teachers who encourage me to pursue my dream.

What impressed you about that poet's performance?

I loved to hear and experience their every expression, it put a fire in my heart.

What would you say to an aspiring poet? Why is it important?

It's a journey to be a poet, travel around every open mic in los Angeles when you get a chance to bring your words and your voice together with your art.

What open mics do you attend?

Freedom of Speech Thursdays Nights, Expression Monday, Writers Wednesday, Night of Soul, Flight School among others.



I noticed you walk around the stage, through the aisles, high five audience members, talk to each one of them and connect with them. 

I love connecting with the audience, to bring smile in their hearts... That is the beauty of poetry: to inspire others. It's a different atmosphere when I get on the stage.

Who's your inspiration?

My inspiration is my family and friends who believe in me. 

Who's your favorite author?

My favorite author/poet is Saul Williams.

Any particular book or poem by Saul Williams?

Cold Language.

I just saw you on stage at Beyond Baroque and thought you were simply amazing. How do you prepare for a solo act?

It takes time, energy, love and lots of practice to put together a solo performance.

Any projects you're working on?

I currently work on an eBook called Ideas Thoughts to be released in the Spring or Summer of 2015.



NEXT SHOW: December 14th

To catch the next SoapBox Poets Open Mic at Beyond Baroque, come in each 2nd Sunday, 2-4pm.
Hosted by Los Angeles Poet Society President, Jessica M. Wilson

This is your mic! All creative genres welcome! 7 minutes time.

Address: 681 Venice Blvd. Venice, CA 

No comments:

Post a Comment